Ten on Tuesday
Okay so today’s “Ten on Tuesday” questions are centered around one of my least favorite topics. Ever. CHORES! I mean, who wants to talk about that? Yuck!
But, I will say that doing (or not doing) chores can impact a marriage – for good or for bad. Living with a boy isn’t easy, especially if the two of you have different housekeeping tendencies. I’m lucky – Jeff is pretty neat and for the most part is good about picking up behind himself. But if we were totally different in that regard, I can imagine there would be a lot more tension around the subject of chores. Fighting about chores with a spouse is no fun, for sure, so make sure you have a plan and know who’s supposed to do what. And then DO IT. Or outsource it. That doesn’t really matter – just make sure it gets done.
1. What are your designated chores in your home? For the most part, we don’t really have designated chores. Jeff and I both just do what needs to be done as needed.
2. What is your least favorite chore to do around the hose? That’s an easy one. Physical chore would be cleaning the bathroom. But the daily mundane chore would be cooking. I don’t much like to cook. Unless it’s for a dinner party and then I can get creative with interesting gourmet type meals. THAT I enjoy. But in general, notsomuch for me and the whole cooking thing. I’m trying to get better about it, though, because I know Jeff would appreciate it. But, for the most part, Jeff cooks and I clean the dishes.
3. What was your designated chore growing up? I had to dust and vacuum. And I can assure you that “dusting” most definitely does not mean swishing the duster around and over objects. I’ve had to redust many an object for trying that trick!
4. Did you get paid to do chores or was your allowance connected to you completing your chores? Paid? To do chores? Heavens no. That was just part of being a member of the family.
5. If you had a bit of extra money, would you hire a cleaning person or would you save the money for something else? My husband and I both believe in outsourcing the things we don’t like to do, so yes, we have a cleaning lady at our home. The funny thing is we always feel compelled to straighten up before she comes. Who knows why – it’s not like she doesn’t know where our dirt lies! (Please tell me we’re not the only couple who does that!)
6. What chores will you make your kids do around the house? We don’t have kids so it’s up to us and the cleaning people.
7. How frequently do you do laundry? Wash your sheets? Dust? I do laundry as needed. Beds are stripped once a week. The cleaning lady dusts.
8. Do you have a designated “chore day” during the week? No.
9. What is your favorite chore–if such a thing exists? I definitely don’t have a favorite chore. If I had to pick one thing, though, it would organizing my closet. My closet is organized by type, style and color according to the color wheel. So for my dress section, all of my black dresses are hanging together, sorted by sleeve length from shortest to longest; then the red dresses, the green dresses, the blue dresses, etc. Nope. No OCD there! 🙂 Shoes and purses are the same way.
10. Do you do anything to help pass the time while doing chores (music, TV, etc.)? I always have the TV or iPod on for background noise, but honestly, just try to get finished with whatever task as quickly as possible.
What are you favorite and least favorite chores around the house? How have you made dividing up chores with your spouse work?